In an informal carry-on from Monday’s blog ‘8 Reasons why aquaponic gardening is better than regular gardening.’ here are 5 reasons why having your own supply as fish (as well as vegetables) is a ruddy good thing!
- Safety – in a world where chemical use is out of control, when you buy a fish you never know what the water quality was like or what it has been eating. With your aquaponics system you know exactly what has gone in and that everything is completely organic.
- Convenience – your lovely aquaponic fish are ready for you to catch fresh whenever you want a healthy and tasty meal!
- Disease free – fish are cold blooded, meaning they will never get bacteria such as E.Coli or Salmonella, which is a common food safety concern.
- Independence – being able to grow your own food is a fantastic feeling, as is being in control of your vegetables and protein needs in a fast changing and increasingly expensive world, which leads us to #5…
- Saves you Money! – Good quality fish can be expensive. Also, selling your aquaponic fish is a great money spinner, just make sure you still have enough to keep your vegetables going strong!
- Good for the environment – perhaps this goes without saying. By demanding very little space, only a little water and virtually nothing else – it gives far more than it takes from the earth. Aquaponics also lessens the demand for fish from the oceans, and you are not guzzling oil when you harvest your crops.
- Fun! – You cant deny it, once aquaponic gardeners get started they can get addicted! With food growing so fast and costing barely any money, what’s not to love!
Aquaponics in India will soon be offering consultancy services. Please get in touch for more information.