Getting to grips with your Aquaponics system? Everyone is a beginner sometime, so here are 5 Aquaponics for Beginners tips!
1. Location – One of the first question marks that arises once you have decided to set up an aquaponics system is where should you set it up – indoors or outdoors? Outdoors has the benefit of receiving natural light but there are several risk factors to be aware of too. There are Pest and animal infestation will be more of a problem out of doors, plus in India we run the risk of having too much heat.
An indoor aquaponics system in a greenhouse is ideal as you will still receive the natural light but it is easier to control environmental factors and to keep animals and pests away.
2. The Right Fish – for inspiration on choosing aquaponics fish, view our past blog ‘What type of fish should you use.’ Fish are probably the most important part of your aquaponics system, so it’s not a decision to be made lightly. Most fish will do well although some breeds such as Tilapia are known for working especially well in this environment.
3. Ratios – we have noticed that some aquaponics peddlers over the internet are suggesting the use of additives may be required for your plants to get all the required nutrients. This is incorrect! If the plants are not doing well, this means your ratios are wrong.
4. Grow beds – when you are setting up your aquaponics grow beds you ought to consider their height. If they are waist level then harvest will be much easier and will not require constant bending over. You only get one spine – look after it. You’ll thank us later!
5. Water Oxygenation – happy and healthy fish are the key to a successful aquaponics system. One way to keep them so is to oxygenize the water.
Aquaponics in India will soon be offering consultancy services. Please get in touch for more information.